Being a newbie is one of the worst fears every blogger can face. I began blogging almost a year back and I remember with shudders the idea of writing blog posts. But, the worst fear was whether the target audience actually got to read my blog. I am sure this is what every blogger fears. It is not the financial impact that worries most of us bloggers during those initial days. During this period, I realized that placing well-targeted comments on relevant blogs was one of the best ways to draw traffic to one’s blog. Blog commenting is an art, if not science, and knowing how to comment is just as important as knowing how to blog.
Remember these 5 golden rules about blog commenting, and I am sure you will find success with your blog..
5 Golden Rules about Blog Commenting
- Niche Commenting: The old saying “Birds of a feather, flock together” holds true when it comes to blog commenting. So, find blogs in your area of expertise or niche and start reading them, contributing some guest posts if applicable, and of course start adding some zest to the article or post with some useful comments. This will help you target visitors in the blog to check out for more information in your blog. This is one easy way to get targeted traffic to your blog. In my early days, I commented in blogs that had no relevance to medical profession, and I ended up with numerous visitors from other niches. This added only numbers, not relevant customers/audience.
- Binge Commenting: “Binge” commenting, like binge drinking, only gives you a bad headache. I mean it! Posting hundreds, if not thousands of comments in a day and relaxing the rest of the month could only cause the search engines to ignore your comments.They believe that good comments come in a steady and regular fashion. So, comment regularly, and steadily.
- Spam Commenting: If not for ethical reasons, stop spamming in your comments for your own sake. It only hurts your blog, your pesona, and you. Posting numerous comments in a single blog in a single day with no intent of adding quality to the post or article amounts to spamming. Also, sending extremely short comments irrelevant to the topic of discussion could get you labeled as “spammer”. Would you want someone else do the same to your blog? Sure, no. Numerous softwares use this tactic but I am not sure how effective they are.
- Forum Commenting: Anyone familiar with forums will agree that they are one of the most useful sources of traffic to their blogs. Participation in forums in one’s area of expertise or niche will surely benefit your blog in a big way. So, sign up and keep sharing and you will reap the benefits.
- Commenting Contests: Is it something new? It isn’t, but it sure is making waves across the blogosphere. This contest itself is witness to it. Numerous blogs conduct various contests to draw comments and of course visitors that soon become interested in the blog. I am sure the winners remember this blog for a long time to come. I am not surprised with the number of comments many of these contests draw. These contests draw a wider audience than your own niche, but they sure can be refined to narrow the audience.
Finally, comments placed anywhere in the blogosphere is sure to retain the mark of the commenter. Newer ways are being utilized to make the links more tempting – ComLuv, @Twitter, and more. Who knows what comments would entail in the days to come.
I am sure there must be some queries about my experience, my journey into blogging, and more. Be sure to leave a comment. I will respect the same with an appropriate answer. Remember, the link love you get!