If you have a website, chances are that you are looking for ways on how to get your website on top search engine rankings the honest, white hat way. Keyword research is one of the first steps for search engine optimization but many people think that you need to be a SEO expert to do this job. If you, like many others out there, do not have the funds to hire a SEO expert then DIY style is just fine too. You do not have to have a lot of money to rank well in the search engines, you just need a bit of blood, sweat and tears.
It is not necessary that you need to hire a professional SEO expert to find keywords that can take your website on top of search engine ranking, but there are several free SEO tools available online that will help you to get started on your keyword research strategy. These tools will help you to see what keywords can bring you potential traffic and by analyzing this information you can start your own SEO campaign. Keywords are only the beginning of SEO but they are also the most important thing to get right.
5 SEO Tools For Keyword Research
- Open Site Explorer: if you are familiar with SEOmoz tools you will surely know that Open Site Explorer falls under its wing. Once you are logged in to SEOmoz, you automatically have access to Open Site Explorer. With this tool you need to enter your competitor’s URL and then go to the anchor text distribution tab to get keyword ideas. You will receive 20 keywords that your competitors use in their text while link building and will also let you know how strong their link building campaign is and the kind of keywords that they are targeting.
- SEOmoz Term Extractor: you can open a free account in SEOmoz and then you can have unlimited access to this tool and the variety of other free SEO tools it brings. Once you go to the term extractor section and enter your competitor’s URL you will receive phrases on which your competitor is targeting.
- Google adword: Google adword keyword tool is one of the most popular strategies for SEO campaign. The most important aspect of choosing this tool is to check the extracted webpage section. The tool focuses on a particular domain page and not the whole domain home page. This tool works with some of the best seo tools for wordpress as most data required mainly comes from this fantastic tool.
- Alexa: Alexia just does not give you a traffic score, but you will be able to access keyword phrases that offer high potential traffic to a particular URL. Once you go to the site info tab and enter your competitor’s website URL, you get details on keywords that drive traffic to their site.
- SEMRush: this keyword tool allows you to enter a domain URL and view the top 10 keywords that make the website rank good on search engines. It also shows you the kind of keyword, its status on search results, the traffic percentage received and any other information associated with it. This is highly beneficial if you are going for CPC.
These are some of the great keyword tools that you can use to see what your competitors are up to, and what keywords drive traffic to their website.
What keywords Am I Looking For?
You are looking for keywords that are directly related to your website.
You are looking for keywords that are in demand, as in people actually are searching for them.
You are looking for higher volume of exact searches but with less competition. These are easier to rank for.
No SEO Expert and a Bunch of Keywords – What Now?
Write articles on your blog or website that contain these keywords. This is called Onpage SEO. I like to follow a SEO checklist to keep me on track, but after a while it simply becomes a habit. You probably know the drill. A keyword in your title, description, tags, amongst the content and in sub headings. This is still needed to show humans and search engines what your content is about.
Once you have a great article that has been optimized on the page, you can now link back to it. You can do this by guest posting on respectable sites, submitting an article to Ezine articles (yes it still works), or maybe you can create fantastic content that people naturally link back to. I also have a few free blogger blogs that I post articles to for backlinking.
Now do you think you still need a SEO expert to help you? I don’t think so!
Not only that, this type of SEO does not cost you a cent!
I have articles that get thousands of visits per month each and these have all been optimized for the search engines. The articles that are not optimized are crying out for my attention.