The interesting thing about affiliate marketing is that entry is open to anyone. Although merchants these days have become more selective, usually all you need is a website (or the promise of one) to get approved as an affiliate or associate.
And in the vast majority of cases it’s free to join.
But having a website or joining an affiliate program won’t make you a dime in this business. In fact, I’d guess that most entering this marketplace fail miserably or make only modest amounts of money.
The sad fact is that most quit before even trying.
Are You Cut Out For This Business?
I’ve been doing this since 1999. That was the year a friend walked into my home office and showed me a little website he had that was earning him cash for referrals to a free ISP start up. I was so intrigued by this that I asked him to show me what to do. He did.
Soon I had my own site up. And very soon after that I made $5,000 U.S in one month. When the check arrived I was so skeptical it would bounce that I drove across the U.S border (10 minutes away) to cash the check from the bank it was issued. It cleared.
Halleluiah, I thought! The money train has just arrived!
Problem was that many months later, after I felt I really got things rolling, the company went out of business, a victim of the dot com bubble burst, taking my latest commission check with them.
My question to you is: what would you have done in those circumstances?
It Takes A Lot To Succeed At Anything?
I hate to be a downer but you know those Internet Marketers promising instant wealth if you buy their “system” (before it’s taken off the market to avoid saturation – wink, wink) – well, do you think they are levelling with you?
Let me say it another way, do you want to believe their B.S. because deep down inside all you want is an easy way out – or a quick fix to a dire financial problem? Are you looking for a “system” or are you looking for a legitimate business opportunity?
People win the lottery. And I guess a lucky few stumble into a lot of cash in a short time without much effort. Heck, even I got lucky out of the gate.
But, trust me.
More people fail at any business than succeed. That is a stastical fact. So think about it. Do you have what it takes? Ask yourself if you have any or all of the qualities listed below. If you can see yourself haveing some or all of what’s required, then give it a go.
In fact, you can even take a look at a no-risk I offer for one of my affiliate marketing trainings if you feel you’ve got what it takes.
7 Key Skills for Online Success
- Goals – You must start with a clearly defined goal. Ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. Is it a part-time income to shore up retirement? Do you want extra money for vacations?
- Resilient – You must be able to handle adversity. As I said above, I started off with a bang but quickly ran into a wall. Could you have persevered under those circumstances?
- Supportive Environment – Hate to say it but I often see people fail in affiliate marketing because of an unsupportive spouse or other significant family member. So sad, really. Because if you’ve got someone chirping at you in a negative way every time things don’t go as planned you’ll not be able to muster the needed effort when thing go awry. And thing do go awry from time to time. Trust me.
- Focus – A former marketing mentor of mine used to drill home to us reps the following slogan: No Hocus Pocus, Just Focus. Does your mind wander? Do you give up on ideas quickly? How many ebooks and trainings promising online income have you taken so far? Did you start them all? Did you finish any of them? Are you making any progress? If not, I suggest you pick one idea and stick with it. You may surprise yourself at what you might achieve.
- Proficiency – You’ll need good work habits, a basic understanding of computer applications and possess an excellent understanding of English if you plan success in the English speaking online publishing world.
- Coachable – You must be ready and able to learn. If fact, you would be well served to take the attitude that any real online opportunity will require life long learning. This is not like high school or college where once you get out your schooling is done. No, the Internet is a global work-in-progress. And to stay current will require constant learning. Are you ready for that?
- Positive Attitude – above all, do not expect success if you fall for all that media negativity so prevalent today. I’m referring to all that stuff on CNN and “rant radio”. Get your head out of there unless it pertains to you personally – which it doesn’t. Overexposure to “news” will make you prone to despondency if you’re not careful. If that sounds like you then I suggest you get a few books on goal setting or success and break that “news” habit right away.
Listen to one of my affiliate marketing podcasts (on WebmasterRadio.fm) if you’d like a good source of inspiration to get you going. Could be just the thing you need.
About the Author
James Martell lives in White Rock, BC with his wife Arlene and their three children. James is a pioneer in the affiliate marketing industry and was successfully profiting with affiliate websites as early as 1999. Visit his website for the very latest in news and tips on how to make money with affiliate programs.