To empower cloud computing, SSL is must. Cloud Computing and SSL are two sides of a coin. SSL is a primary security that used by many organizations to secure their confidential information travelling between the server and client.
Cloud Computing is built on using of computing resources, which contains different services like servers, applications and storage to organizations through internet. Cloud Computing serves three different fragments like “Application,” “Storage” and “Connectivity.” Each part is serving a different purpose to the organization.
When you wish to take Cloud Service, always prefer such service provider who has a strong security. If you ignore security part, your network will become a target of outsider attacks.To gain the benefits from cloud computing without compromising the performance of your network, enterprises must confirm that they work only with trustworthy service providers. Here, you can implement a technology called SSL (Secure Socket Layer), which can secure your Cloud Computing Service.However, before focusing on the SSL benefits let us observe its necessity and functioning pattern.
SSL (Secure Socket Layer) is a technology that works on encryption. It converts your information or data into a coding language; therefore, attacker cannot recognize it. SSL protects the information that travels between a web browser and cloud server. It establishes trust over the internet. The protection level used by SSL security is up to 256-bit encryption, which protects you from on-line attacks. SSL also verifies the server and domain of your organization.
SSL protects your cloud service against the most of security issues. Below are some examples against which SSL secures your Cloud Computing Service:
- Injection attack
- Flooding attack
- Network sniffing
- Man in the middle attack
- Data theft
- Port Scanning
From the above discussion, you have enough knowledge about the SSL terminology and security issues of Cloud Computing.Now let us focus on How SSL works.
How SSL Works?
As we discussed that SSL works on encryption, which also contains a public key and private key to identify the exact server for transactions. The keys work like as below:
- The browser requests to the web server about identity verification
- The server sends SSL Certificate copy to browser
- The browser checks SSL copy for authentication and sends a message to the server after verify it.
- The server sends a digital signature acknowledgement and permits to start encrypted session.
- Finally, Encrypted data is ready to share between the browser and the server.
Now let’s disclose the segments on which SSL technology is laid. SSL works on three fundamental segments that make SSL the most appreciated security. The segments are discussed below.
It is essential to verify the server before transferring any data. Never go for a self-signed certificate, as there are not legitimate. SSL provides authenticate environment for your Cloud Service.SSL Certificate must be issued from the trusted Certificate Authority.
Once a certificate is authenticated, the SSL Certificate is issued for a fixed length of time.SSL checks the validity itself when servers try to connect each other. It is necessary to check about the validity of SSL Certificate; otherwise, it will not capable of securing your Cloud Service. There are two standards like On-line Certificates Status Protocol and Certificate Revocation List.
- In OCSP, a request is made to Certificate Authority about Certificate’s validity and the certificate authority answers about the SSL Certificate.
- While in CRL the browser, download the most cancellation list from the Certificate Authority and checks validity of a certificate itself. OCSP is the most reliable method used to check the validity of a certificate.
How SSL Helps?
After disclosing the method and importance of SSL Now come to the final discussion where SSL can help Cloud Computing Service.
- Data Reside: Data Reside is the chief issue in Cloud Computing. In Traditional on-site storage, information about the data placed on the cloud and the Cloud access is vulnerable. Therefore, the third person can read your data without any interruption. SSL encrypts the data at the time of transfer between server to server or browser to server. Therefore, the attacker cannot access the data. In addition, SSL verifies the identity of both servers that decrease the chance of data reading by outsiders.
- Compliance: When organization places data on Cloud, it is essential to aware about the regulatory compliances and its maintenance. SSL maintains the regulatory compliance by hiding the private and protected data towards any third person.Organizations should check about the policy of data management and compliance.
- Data Transfer: SSL removes fear from the organization about data theft during any data transfer. SSL protects the data that travel between servers. Therefore, no one can read or modify the data, and the data will remain secure in the Cloud.
- Data Backups: SSL Certificate adds an extra layer of security to data backup in case of any data lost or data crash. SSL assures organizations that the data accessed from a server is legitimate and encrypted. The data travels between backup servers or duplicate server is also encrypted.
If SSL and cloud work together, cloud computing can perform better in secure environment. Organizations now understood that without a strong security Cloud Computing could not survive as an invulnerable service. For a successful Cloud Computing, you should have a strong encryption that keeps attacker away from your data.